Thursday 8 September 2011

Successful classes for migrant domestic workers in Singapore

Finding hope on Orchard Road

By:

Becoming computer savvy with Excel with the help of volunteers


SINGAPORE – That Sunday, despite a downpour, I walked into Orchard Road with a bounce to my step. I had found Aidha, a non-government organization (NGO) that has enabled expats, volunteers and migrants to help fellow migrants reach for their dreams. I was filled with hope for a better life for OFWs in this tiny nation where an estimated 80,000 domestic workers slave away their life.


The plight of the Filipino domestic helper abroad has haunted me since I was 17. Heading home from my Junior year in Perth, Australia, I had an overnight stopover in Singapore. At the airport, a Filipina asked me, “Matagal ka na dito? Mabait ba yung employer mo (Have you been here long? Are your employers good to you)?” It was about that time when the Flor Contemplacion case was foremost in the minds of Filipinos and Singaporeans alike.


Read the article here

No comments: